The Child Protection Section spearheads the Child Protection Programme in MONUC in line with the Security Council Resolutions 1261 (1999) and 1314 (2000) that recommended employment of child protection advisers in peacekeeping operations, where appropriate. The overall objectives of the Programme in MONUC are to:
- Contribute to the improvement of children’s right and to strengthen child protection with a particular focus on children affected by armed conflict
- Ensure that child protection issues are integrated in to all MONUC’s programmes and that staff adopt a children-conscious approach to their work
- Ensure child protection issues is given priority within the transition process
- Ensure that MONUC support child protection-related activities of United Nations agencies and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO)
- Advocate for proper behavior of MONUC staff towards children
The Section has its main office in Kinshasa with sector offices in Beni, Bunia, Bukavu, Goma, Kalemie, Kisangani, Lubumbashi, and Mbuji-Mayi.